Seminar : Galaxy
Galaxy course "Analysis of life science high-throughput data with Galaxy" (6 ECTS = 180 h workload)
Supervisors: Bjoern Gruening, Anika Erxleben, Torsten Houwaart, Berenice Batut
- 1st meeting: 25.4.2017 13:00, Tuesday, SR 02.006, Build 106
- preparation phase: May-July 2017
- abstracts submission deadline: 14.07.2017
- Galaxy course: 31.07.-04.08.2017
- exercise phase August-September 2017
- protocol submission deadline: TBA (September 2017)
In biological and medical research big data analysis is urgently needed for understanding the information which is encoded in the molecules of life. Many diseases, such as cancer, are caused by aberrations in those molecules. In this course you will learn to use Galaxy for big data analysis which is an open source, web-based platform for data intensive biomedical research. Galaxy provides access to a powerful analysis infrastructure and allows for reproducible and transparent data analysis. Creating pipelines and workflows in Galaxy ensure a transparent and reproducible analysis of data. The Galaxy course offers comprehensive knowledge about HTS data analyses. You will get an theoretical introduction into the analysis of DNA and RNA. After the workshop you will be able to create pipelines for your individual analyses and visualize the results.
- Introduction in Big Data
- Galaxy introduction
- Quality control of HTS data
- Mapping of HTS data
- RNA sequencing data analysis
- Exome sequencing data analysis
- Metagenomics data analysis
- Proteomics data analysis
- Methylation and HiC data analysis
The course is divided into 3 phases:
- Galaxy Trainings course
- We will provide you papers which you have to read to learn about the basics necessary for the Galaxy course. For two of these papers you will have to submit two abstracts of about 250 words where you summarize with own words the paper content. Submission deadline is 14.07.2017.
- We will provide you links to watch Galaxy videos and screencasts for preparing some topics.
- You will get access to our Freiburg Galaxy Server. You have to do some interactive tours to get familiar with Galaxy.
Galaxy Trainings course
- The course takes place from 31.07.-04.08.2017 full-day. Course attendance is mandatory!
- You will get exercises which you able to solve after the Galaxy course. You have to write a short protocol and submit the histories with results from Galaxy until mid of September (date will be announced).
Requirements to pass the course:
* submission of written abstracts * attendance of Galaxy course (31.7.-04.08.2017) * submission of protocol and solution for exercises
contact for questions: Anika Erxleben (email@example.com)